This Fireplace was fitted with an inset stove.Whoever fitted it connected it to a liner by knocking a hole in the wall to put their hand through so that a “connection” could be made. The following pictures show how bad the job was. The Client had been complaining of smoke in the bedroom above. When this appliance was removed it was discovered that in addition to the poor installation, a soil pipe from the en suite was travelling through the chimney. As well as a split liner the soil pipe had partially melted allowing fumes and Carbon Monoxide gas to seep into the en suite and bedroom.
Rusting split liner pushed into the stove collar.When the stove was lit smoke and fumes would leak out into the chimney and exit into the en suite bathroom and bedroom above.
The broken liner is removed from the top of the chimney
The view inside the chimney showing the split liner still partially connected to the old stove before removal.
2. Cowl Problems.
View from the top of the chimney.This cowl was totally blocked with tar caused by the burning of unseasoned wood. Wood should be dried for at least 18 months and have a moisture content of less than 20%. The owner of this property was unaware of what caused this but she did have a Carbon Monoxide alarm that activated and alerted her to the problem.
Another Tarry Cowl,this time an electric one that was not being serviced.
3. Split Corroded Flue.
Split Flue in loft space caused by water penetrating the flue pipe. No cowl was fitted to the flue and unseasoned wood was being burnt.
Looking down the chimney – The soil pipe from the en-suite can be seen running through the chimney. The heat from the liner has partially melted it.